sábado, 26 de septiembre de 2020

Abbey Road

Abbey Road by the Beatles was released on September 26, 1969. I remember it well! It had been a long summer in a rented house near Arroyo Seco on the rim road, outside of Taos, New Mexico... It was one of my mother's records that I listened to again and again along with Rubber Soul (1965) and Sargeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967) and Yellow Submarine (1969), Alice's Restaurant (1969), Let it Bleed (1969), Calypso (1956)... I sang and danced in the long sloping golden light of the afternoon upstairs in a wooden house with large windows... This wasn't that long after we left Mexico, catapulted by events of the worldwide unrest of 1968. Mexico's version ending tragically in the massacre of Tlateloco. But by the age of 6 these moves and upheavals were normal fare, a backdrop to a childhood that was already marked by comings and goings between countries, regions, languages, civil rights protests, the death of a president, but much more importantly for me the death of a bird I that with the help of Martha, the maid, we had trapped, and the abandoment of my dog at the Mexico City Pound, those losses struck the bone.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario